Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dancing Questionnaires (12): Abbey from Boston

The latest dancing questionnaire has been completed by Abbey who lives in the Boston, MA area. Her summer camp dancing adventures reminded me of going to youth club discos and dancing round in a high kicking circle to Hi Ho Silver Lining by Jeff Beck as well as the perennial awkwardness - for boys and girls - of that last slow dance. We also played the B-52s at that youth club, who would have thought they would end up in the pop canon, but I guess they have - in fact only last week I played Love Shack out withn my ukulele band.


1. Can you remember your first experience of dancing?
Dancing in my family room to a video of a Parachute Express concert as a very small child. Ever since I've know what music is, I've danced to it.


2. What's the most interesting/significant thing that has happened to you while out dancing?
Probably when I was at the dances at my camp last year. A slow song came on, and instead of wandering around and feeling awkward about not wanting to dance with guys, all of my friends and I broke into faux-ballet moves and just...let go. It wasn't embarrasing, it wasn't awkward, it was...so much fun.


3. You. Dancing. The best of times…
It all happens at camp for me. We're all dorks, on the fringe of society at home, but when we get together, we just go crazy. Not just at the dances, but one incredible moment when it started pouring rain, and instead of running for cover, we danced. And sang Bohemian Rhapsody, but that's a longer story.

4. You. Dancing. The worst of times…
I was at a dance at home, at a private boy's school that my friend goes to. He invited me and a few of my friends, and after slight worry over the sex-deprived boy schoolers, we decided to go. A guy asked me to dance, and I was weirded out, since that never happens to me, but I said yes. ...Before I realized what was happening, he started grinding with me. I was freaked out, and had no idea what to do, just sort of stood there until he stopped, said it was nice to meet me, and walked away. Apparently I'm not a very good grinding partner, which is nice, because I find it disgusting.


5. Can you give a quick tour of the different dancing scenes/times/places you've frequented?
Not much. I'm pretty young, pretty sheltered, and live in the most boring place in the universe. So the craziest I get is school or camp dances, or randomly instigated dancing in random places with my friends. We're awesome like that.


6. When and where did you last dance?
If you mean seriously danced, it was at the winter semi-formal at my school, and it was some crazy awesome fun (as long as we avoided the sea of grinding taking up most of the dance floor). But for any dancing, the last time would be in the car, with my brother and dad, dancing in my seat when Revolution by the Beatles came on the radio. I make it a point to dance pretty much every day.


7. You're on your death bed. What piece of music would make your leap up for one final dance?
American Pie. It's played last at every dance at my camp, we know all the words, it's packed with traditional dance "moves" and called responses to the lyrics. It's the one song I've danced to that really affects me emotionally. This could actually be said about a few canon songs from my camp, including Tunak Tunak Tun, Love Shack, and the Time Warp.

All questionnaires welcome - just answer the same questions and send to transpontine@btinternet.com (see previous questionnaires)

1 comment:

astrida said...

abbey --
loving your answers
makes me wanna dance in the rain/in a car/at least once a day

astrida
(altogether loving this blog. making history)